Covid-19 welfare information

Covid-19 welfare support available for the Porirua City community

It’s OK to ask for help.

As we work through this together, there are people and agencies able to support you. Here’s a range of advice, help, or support if you need it. If you don’t speak English, you can ask for an interpreter when calling most government departments.

If you have immediate welfare needs this lockdown, including income support or temporary accommodation, get in touch with the Ministry of Social Development online or by calling 0800 559 009.

You'll find a range of information below about welfare support available for our Porirua community. 

👉 Download a copy of Welfare Providers in Porirua City under Covid-19 Level 4 Restrictions here.

👉 Download a copy of Covid-19 Government Services and Support card here

Call Ministry for Primary Industries for animal welfare concerns and enquiries and to report cruelty. For animal welfare emergencies, you can also call your local SPCA Centre.

0800 00 83 33 (MPI)

All New Zealand businesses and sole traders can get support and advice on: government financial supports, finding free or subsidised expert mentoring and advice, what different Alert Levels mean or business continuity. Employers can also get specific advice on staffing changes, employee wellness, and meeting your health and safety obligations.

North Island 0800 500 362

South Island 0800 505 096

Call Oranga Tamariki if a child or young person is unsafe, not being cared for, or separated from their parents or caregivers.

0508 326 459 (Oranga Tamariki)

Know your rights as an employee and keep yourself safe.

Contact Work and Income if you’re looking for work or have a vacancy that needs to be filled. Contact Employment NZ or visit their website for information on your rights as an employee. Contact Worksafe for information on working safely.

0800 779 009 (Work and Income’s Job Search line)

0800 20 90 20 (Employment New Zealand)

0800 030 040 (Worksafe)

It’s ok to leave your bubble to keep yourself or someone else safe. If you need to leave, help will be there

Call 111 if you or someone else is in immediate danger of being harmed or may harm themselves.

Find local social support services in your area, call the Family Services 211 helpline.

Call Women’s Refuge for advice, support and safe accommodation when you’re dealing with violence in your life.

The Elder Abuse Helpline is a free service that older people can contact if they or someone they know are experiencing elder abuse.

111 (Emergency Line)

0800 211 211 (Family Services 211 Helpline)

0800 733 843 (Women’s Refuge)

0800 32 668 65 (Elder Abuse Hotline)

There may be support available for employers, employees and those who have lost their job or had their income reduced, or assistance to buy food .

Visit the Work and Income website for urgent financial support and ongoing needs. You can apply for a main benefit online and check your eligibility for food assistance. You can also use the COVID-19 financial support tool on the Unite Against COVID-19 website to see what support is available to you. (Food grant & benefit app)

0800 559 009 (General Line)

0800 552 002 (Seniors 65+)

0800 88 99 00 (Students)

financial-support/covid-19- financial-support-tool/

For access to food or essential items

  • We all need food and essential items such as medicine, so please don’t try to go without. There are plenty of ways to get this to you.
  • If you are delivering supplies, remember to stay 2 metres apart and wear a face covering.
  • Talk to your support networks like family, whānau, friends and neighbours to see if they could deliver essential items to you.
  • If you need medicine, contact your pharmacy.
  • Try food delivery services such as supermarket home delivery, food parcels, frozen pre-prepared meals, subscription food boxes (like My Food Bag and Hello Fresh) or any other wholefood delivery service.
  • If you need financial help to buy food, Work and Income are here to help.
  • If you need food urgently, contact your local foodbank for support - see link to your local provider.
  • If you have tried and can’t access support through any of the options above, contact your local Civil Defence and Emergency Management (CDEM) Group priority-assistance (Countdown ) (New World)

Work and Income 0800 numbers and links (Foodbanks)

Organisation Hours Details of support
St. Vincent de Paul
Phone: 04 237 5968
Contactless delivery
Mon to Fri – PoriruaMon, Wed, Fri – Tawa,Titahi Bay, LindenOrder by phone
Food parcels. Requests to be
made up to 1pm
Wesley Community Action
Cannons CreekPhone: 04 237 7923
Contactless delivery
Mon to FriOrder by phone
Food parcels. Requests made
in the morning otherwise willbe delivered the next day.
St. Anne’s Pantry Contactless delivery
Tue, Wed, Fri afternoonsOrder by completing formon their
Food parcels. Requests made
by 12pm.St. Anne’s will advise clientif they can’t deliver.
Salvation Army Cannons Creek
(corner Warspite Ave and Fantame St)Phone: 04 235 6266
Pick up only
Mon to Fri. Please call ahead.
Food parcels. Requests
between 9am-1pm.Client has to pick up parcel.

Call Plunket to speak to a Plunket nurse. PlunketLine is a free parent helpline and advice service available to all families, whānau and caregivers.

0800 933 922 (PlunketLine)

It’s as important as always to get medical support if you’re unwell. You don’t need to wait.

If you have cold, flu or COVID-19 symptoms, get tested. Call your Doctor, or contact Healthline for free health advice and information provided by trained professionals.

0800 358 5453 (Healthline - COVID-19 health advice)

0800 611 116 (Healthline - General health advice)

However you feel, there’s someone to talk to if you need it.

Call or text 1737 to talk to someone trained to help. For specific help, you can contact the Depression Helpline or Alcohol Drug Helpline.

1737 (1737 Helpline)

0800 111 757 (Depression Helpline)

0800 787 797 (Alcohol Drug Helpline)

Contact Tenancy Services for information about your legal rights.

0800 836 262 (Tenancy Services)

Contact your local Rural Support Trust. They can point you in the right direction for the support you need.

0800 787 254 (Rural Support Trust)

Organisation Hours Details of support
Taeaomanino Trust
Phone: 0800 345 345Email:
Monday to Friday
Packages for families who have
been caught short and needingsupport• Packages for families who haveto self-isolate• Food, devices, payment of utilities
Pacific Health Plus
Edna TuitupouPhone: 022 360 3163
Monday to Friday
Packages for families who have
been caught short and needingsupport• Packages for families who haveto self-isolate
He Whānau Manaaki o Tararua
KindergartensPhone: 0800 345 345Email:
• Packages for families who have
been caught short and needingsupport• Packages for families who haveto self-isolate• Food, devices, payment of utilities

Organisation Details of support
Te Roopu Awhina
Phone: 0800 872 800Email:
• Packages for families who have
been caught short and needingsupport• Packages for families who haveto self-isolate
Whanau Centre
Phone: 04 237 7749Email:
Packages for families who have
been caught short and needingsupport• Packages for families who haveto self-isolate• Hygiene packs

Organisation Details of support
ChangeMakers Resettlement Forum
For youth: Kodrean Eashae: Ph: 022 612 3240Email: Jacqueline Wilton. Ph: 022 457 6839Email: Read Ph: 0204 113 0531Email:
• Focus on former refugees but
will also support new migrants ifurgent• Call/email to discuss urgentneeds or be connected withservices.

Organisation Hours
Whare Manaaki/Woman’s Refuge Porirua
Phone: 04 234 6118 Email:

Countdown Supermarkets offer a ‘Priority Assistance Service’ and you may be eligible to receive this service. Visit for more information and how to register

Youthline supports all young people, including those who are struggling. Youthline offers a free 24/7 Helpline service.

Youthline Free call 0800 376 633

Free text 234

Webchat: https://www.youthline.

There are a number of organisations working to make sure everyone is looked after.

Visit the Unite Against COVID-19 website. To help you understand your rights and obligations, and to give you any support you need to take action, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.

0800 367 222 (Citizens Advice Bureau)

For official information and updates visit and

Services and Support

Information in other languages

  • For information on Council closures and facilities, please click here.