Keep animals other than dogs

We're home to all sorts of animals here in Porirua City. Some animals are a bit more work than others - here are some ground rules for keeping animals other than kurī or ngeru.

Whether you own an animal or are just looking after it for a short time, you must keep it under control at all times and inside the boundaries of your property, and make sure it doesn’t create a nuisance.  You need a permit to keep pigs and/or bees.

Prohibited areas

Pigs, goats, roosters, cockerels or similar crowing animals aren’t permitted within 100 metres of the city centre or suburban zones.

Poultry, sheep and rabbits aren’t permitted within 100 metres of the city zone (except if they’re in a pet shop, animal boarding house or another authorised animal service premises).

If an animal in your care is found wandering, it may be impounded. You’ll need to pay any impounding and other fees before it is released.

The rules for keeping animals in Porirua City and managing any health or nuisance issues are set out in the Porirua City Council General Bylaw 1991 – Part 7. (20KB pdf)

If you’re convicted of an offence against a bylaw, you could be fined up to $20,000.

Keeping bees

You need a permit to keep bees in Porirua City before you move any hives onto your property.  There's no permit fee.  You'll also need to have your neighbour's permission.

Bring both completed forms to our Customer Services Centre at 16 Cobham Court, Porirua.

We’ll make an appointment to inspect your proposed hive site to make sure it’s suitable and safe.

Your permit may be withdrawn if we get complaints about your bees causing a nuisance or danger.

Commercial hives must be registered with Apiculture New Zealand.