Own more than two dogs

Sometimes Fido and Fernando need a friend - apply for a three plus permit (formally dispensation licence) to keep three dogs on your property.

Whether you are re-homing a rescued dog, or providing a playmate for the four-legged friends you already own, sometimes it might be necessary for you to have more than two dogs on your property.

There's some paperwork and a fee you need to pay to make this a reality.

There is a fee of $33.00 for a three plus permit (formally dispensation licence) for owning more than two dogs. Council will invoice you for this fee on approval of the application.

You also need to fill in one of our easy to complete application forms.

You can provide us with the form in a variety of ways:

  • You can email enquiries@poriruacity.govt.nz.
  • You can visit our Customer Services Centre at 16 Cobham Court, Porirua.
  • Post it to us at Porirua City Council, PO Box 50218, Porirua 5240

As required we conduct a yearly review to ensure the conditions of your licence are being meet. We will write to you to acknowledge we have carried out our review and that your licence may be renewed. You will also receive your yearly invoice at this time.

If you’re planning to build new accommodation for your dogs, you may also need to get resource consent and/or a building consent before you start the work.

Property inspections are required

A site inspection is needed before we can grant a dispensation licence. Our Animal Control Officer will make a time during normal working hours to inspect your property to assess whether it’s suitable for more than two dogs. The inspection will check the type and suitability of the dog accommodation, the exercise space available and hygiene standards. 

Please note, properties that are zoned rural are exempt from this dispensation requirement.

Cancelling a three plus permit (formally dispensation licence)

Your three plus permit (formally dispensation licence) may be cancelled if:

  • your dog/s create a nuisance or hazard to health, property and safety or adversely affect the neighbourhood in some other way, or
  • you don’t comply with the licence conditions.