Vehicle crossings

Connecting your whare to the road with a new driveway? Here are all the details you need to know about vehicle crossings in Porirua City.

When you're making a new entrance to your property, the bit that will replace the footpath, linking your property and the road is a vehicle crossing.
  • Vehicle crossings are usually included as part of a building consent application for a new house.
  • You can apply for approval for a new vehicle crossing separately or when an existing vehicle crossing is being replaced.
  • Resource consent is also needed for a vehicle crossing or entrance to a rural property.

1. Plan the crossing

Your vehicle crossing must meet certain requirements. Refer to these drawings for standard vehicle crossings:

Property below street level

Talk to our Road Controlling Authority Infrastructure Engineer to discuss levels, gradients, crossfalls, drainage and other aspects before you apply -  (04) 237 5089 or

2. Locate any services at BeforeUdig

3. Make a temporary traffic management plan

Plans for temporary traffic management must be prepared by a qualified site traffic management supervisor (search for Traffic Management Services Porirua).

  • The plan must show how pedestrians and motorists will be able to safely get past the worksite. 
  • You’ll need a suitably qualified temporary traffic management person to put up signs and barriers before the work starts. These controls must remain in place to protect the public until work is finished. 

4. Submit your application at BeforeUdig

5. Fees – what it will cost

Description Fee
Standard vehicle crossing $260.00
Extra inspections $97.60 per visit

  • The fee doesn’t include any construction costs of the vehicle crossing or the cost of preparing your traffic management plan application.  

6. Arrange inspections

Pre-pour inspection

When the excavation has been prepared and is ready for the concrete to be poured, contact us to inspect the boxing before the concrete is poured.

Final inspection

When the area surrounding the crossing has been reinstated, let us know within five working days that the works are complete. Send us photographs of the crossing and adjacent area to include in our property records.

To arrange an inspection, phone the Road Protection Team on (04) 237 5089 or email We need at least two days’ notice.

Controlling run off - silt & sediment

  • Vehicle crossings and driveways must be completed before new buildings are occupied.  
  • For a new building, there should not be more than a couple of days between the vehicle entry/exit pad being removed and the driveway being laid. 
  • No vehicles should enter or leave the site during this time, because of the risk of tracking mud from their tyres onto the road.
  • When constructing an exposed aggregate driveway, ensure that washout goes onto the site for treatment and not onto the road and into stormwater drains.
More information on silt and sediment control.

Damage you cause

Before you start work, record any existing damage to the road surface, kerb and channel, footpath, and any other parts of the road corridor.  Take photos if you can.

The permit holder (depending on who builds the vehicle crossing) is responsible for repairing, at their own expense and to our satisfaction, any damage resulting from building it.

Maintain the crossing

As the property owner, you are responsible for on-going maintenance and repairs to the crossing.

If our work to widen or realign a road requires a vehicle crossing to be altered to meet the new road alignment, we will do this work at our expense.