Paying parking fines and parking appeals

There are a few spots around the city with parking time restrictions – if you stay over time you may end up with a parking ticket.

We only enforce parking restrictions on Porirua City roads and car parks – not in private or supermarket car parks,  or on private land.

How to pay a parking fine

If you get a ticket, you have 28 days to pay the fine.  Part payments aren’t accepted. 

  • Pay in person at our  Customer Services Centre at 16 Cobham Court, Porirua, by cash or Eftpos. 

  • Pay online with internet banking using this information:

    Westpac Porirua Branch - 03 0547 0240008 001 (or suffix 01)
    Payer Particulars: FINES Payer 
    Code: Your vehicle registration 
    Payer & Reference: Infringement Notice Number

If you don't pay on time, you'll receive a reminder notice. If no payment is received after a further 28 days, the overdue fine will be lodged with a debt collection agency for follow-up action. 

Appealing a fine

If you would like us to review your parking ticket, you can complete the Parking infringement explanation form (33KB Word) on or before the last day for payment, which is 56 days from the date the parking ticket was issued, and either:

  • bring it to our Customer Services Centre at 16 Cobham Court, Porirua.
  • scan and email it to or
  • mail to Parking & Bylaws, Porirua City Council, PO Box 50218, Porirua 5240.

Please allow 10 working days to receive notification from the infringement review officer. For privacy reasons, a fine can only be queried by the registered vehicle owner.

If your explanation is accepted, the infringement notice will be waived. If it’s declined, you can either pay the infringement fee by the due date or request a Court hearing.

Please note, we do not accept second appeals if your first appeal has been declined, you can request a court hearing.

Requesting a court hearing

You can apply in writing requesting a court hearing at any time while we’re processing your infringement notice. We’ll transfer the matter to the Porirua District Court, who will arrange a hearing date and time and advise you of the details.