Working in the road corridor

If your building project involves works in the road corridor there are a few things to consider before starting out.

What you'll need to work in the road corridor

To work in the road corridor, you’ll need an approved Corridor Access Request (CAR) and a Temporary Traffic Management Plan (TMP). These can be managed for you by a qualified Site Traffic Management Supervisor (STMS).

We are aware of the following companies that carry out this work in Porirua City:

  • Precise Traffic Solutions: Contact Bux at, 027 8365243
  • ATMS: Contact Jade at, 021 767541
  • Traffic Management New Zealand: Contact Steve at

If your work involves a vehicle crossing, you could also contact Cubic Metre Ltd: Dave Wingate at, 027 484 8234.

You can find out more information on our vehicle crossings page.

Traffic Management Plan

A Traffic Management Plan describes the temporary traffic management measures for road users (including pedestrians and cyclists). This plan is submitted with your corridor access request.

The plan must show how pedestrians and motorists will be able to get past the worksite safely.

Before U Dig

If you are planning to carry out excavations in the road corridor, you can check for underground services by going to Before U Dig. If you haven’t used the site before, you’ll need to sign up as a new user.

You can also apply at Before U Dig for a Corridor Access Request (CAR), however you will still need a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) provided by a qualified STMS.

Utility companies

Utility companies refer to the National Code of Practice for utility operators’ access to transport corridors.

State Highways

If your activity involves a state highway, you'll need permission from the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA)

Council fees and inspections to process Corridor Access Requests (CAR)

Corridor access requests Fee
Minor works - including vehicle crossings and emergency works $260.00
Major works - including emergency works $579.00
Project works $579.00 or 80% of assessed processing time based on $122/hour

  • You’ll be invoiced within the new month. 
  • The number of site inspections will depend on how complex the works are.

More information about the different levels of works

When can you work in the road corridor?

Normal hours of work

7.00 am to 6.00 pm, Monday to Saturday inclusive.

Working outside the normal working hours

Night work may be permitted in non-residential areas by negotiation.

No night work may be carried out in residential areas.

Emergency work

The restrictions don’t apply to emergency work. 

Notify us about emergency work by emailing within 48 hours of the work starting.

No Work Period within Porirua City

“No work” shall be carried within Porirua City during Sundays or public holidays, except in special circumstances or for emergency work.

Christmas No Work period

No work shall be carried out within the Central Business District (CBD) of Porirua City between 1 December 2020 and 3 January 2021.

No work shall be carried out in Porirua City outside of the CBD between 22 December 2020 and 3 January 2021.

Note: In exceptional circumstances, apart from emergency work, the Road Controlling Authority, Traffic Management Co-ordinator may negotiate and approve any proposals to work outside the stated above conditions. Call enquiries 237-5089 or email the Road Protection Team