To finalise the Recommended Option
High risk of a crash due to the combination of:
- Excessively wide conflict area, ie the likelihood of a left turning vehicle colliding with a cyclist travelling up Raiha St is high.
- Slip lane design not “safe system” ie a vehicle turning left into Broken Hill Rd may obscure a following vehicle from motorists waiting to turn right from Broken Hill Rd.
- Increased traffic volumes (Porirua Adventure Park/Transmission Gully)
The aim is to provide continued safe access to all businesses and road users using the Kenepuru Corridor for now and in the future.
Raiha St/Broken Hill Rd
Consideration of feedback received at the December 2019 Stakeholder meeting
- Numerous heavy vehicles
- Over dimension vehicle route
- Cycling route
- No crashes within 30m of intersection 2015-2019.
Stage 1 (Immediate)
- Channelised intersection, reduced risk.
- Dual lane Exit
- Proposed traffic islands to be installed as a temporary layout prior to confirmation of permanent installation
- Lighting to be reviewed
- Safe Hit Posts in on the SE Raiha Street approach to the intersection, as a possible precursor to physical island to prevent over taking
Stage 2 (Future)
- Widen Raiha Street opposite Broken Hill Road to facilitate the installation of a widened slip lane for South East bound traffic.