Construction works to build the new Titahi Bay Commemorative Community Park next to the retail area in Whitehouse Road are about to start. It’s been a long process and you can find out how this point was reached further down the page.
When will the park be complete?
The works are expected to be complete sometime in July 2023, although this is subject to weather. New temporary fencing will be put up at the site the week beginning 20 February and physical works will start at the site the following week.
Who is undertaking the works?
Higgins Contracting Ltd.
What is being built?
The new community space extends from the boat shed canopies and existing paving through to the Titahi Bay Library.
The space blends into the existing cobblestone paving height and features new gardens and plantings, informal seating areas and activity space. There will be LED lighting on many of the structures and within some of the seating units. A power switchboard is also being installed to enable power supply for community events in the future.
How will the retail area be affected by the construction works?
It is our goal to keep disruptions and negative impacts to a minimum throughout construction. We will be working with the Higgins team to minimise dust, noise and vibration around the work zone, along with the loss of carparking, and ensure ongoing and safe pedestrian access.
Access to the library will be maintained throughout, and there will be full access to the retail area.
The footpath beside the bakery is expected to be closed for the duration of the construction works. Access to the new toilet facility will be off Niblick Lane and there will also be a temporary pathway behind the library (see image below).
Later in the project, the four parallel carparks beside the construction work area will like closed for some periods.
Site access and contractor parking:
The Higgins team will use Niblick Lane as the main site entry and for parking.
Who to contact:
If you have any questions about the space and ongoing work, contact our customer services team on 04 237 5089 or email [email protected]
We thank you for your patience as this work is carried out.
The Marines Hall was built in Titahi Bay during World War II (1943) as a recreation hall for the 1500 US Marines stationed in the area. The building was used for its original purpose for less than a year before the Marines returned home.
The building became a local government asset in 1954 and was used as a place for the community to meet and celebrate. In 1976 Porirua Little Theatre occupied the building and called this building home until 2012.
In 2012 the hall was deemed structurally unsafe and was closed. A year later the building was also deemed at earthquake risk. Porirua City Council voted in 2018 that consent be sought for it to be demolished.
Several groups looked into securing funding to restore the hall, but the building work required was too extensive. To restore the building, would require (as of 2018) $2 million.
The Marines Hall in Titahi Bay has stood at the heart of the community for over 75 years and has a special place in the memories of local whānau.
In July 2021, the concept plan for the community space to replace the hall was shared with the community. Many aspects of the commemorative community space are designed with the history of the hall behind it. The full design rationale is below.
Some aspects of the concept plan changed as a result of what the community said. It was also decided to upgrade the toilet facilities.
Currently work to complete the final design is under way and works are expected to start on site in early 2023.
(Below is a render of the commemorative community space, subject to change.)
Titahi Bay’s Marines Hall is set to be demolished in the coming weeks, after Porirua City Council satisfied resource consent conditions to do so.
A contract has been signed with Quality Demolition, who have already started investigative works and will carry out the demolition.
The building, constructed by US Marines based at a nearby camp in 1942, has been unused since 2012, when it was deemed structurally unsafe and unsanitary.
The Council voted in 2014 to demolish it.
Quality Demolition contracts manager Simon Miller says this is a building he knows well and while sad to see it coming down, is excited to be involved in the next phase of the site.
"I was brought up in the Bay and can remember the Marines Hall as a picture theatre back in the day and then later on there were plays, where you could take a chilly bin and some food in - it was great.
"But life goes on and I think what’s planned will be really good for the area."
Quality Demolition will salvage and recycle as much material as they can from the former Marines Hall for future use.
Porirua Parks and City Services Operations Manager Mark Hammond says the Council has been through a thorough process to get to this point.
"We consulted with the community at many different stages along the way, including last year over what should be on this spot once the building is gone.
"We’ve now met the requirements of the resource consent, so the next phase can get under way and we’re one step closer to having a commemorative space that the Titahi Bay, and Porirua, community can take pride in.
"We will soon have an updated design plan to share and hope to get started on the cleared site in the new year."
Plans include different seating areas, shade, more vegetation and multiple features that reflect the heritage of the hall.
Ngāti Toa and an independent archaeologist have been engaged as part of the project.
A new modern toilet block will also be put in, on the same spot as the current block.
During demolition and construction of the commemorative space, the library, car park and all shops will remain open and accessible, but there may be some minor diversions in place.