In their first year, the project focused on establishing a rangatahi paepae consisting of 9 core members. The aim of this group is to provide a platform for youth to grow and develop, as well as design and roll out youth-led initiatives for young people across Porirua. Here's some of the awesome things they've done so far:
- Launched their project at a community event 'Connect', attended by over 100 people. The group organised and project manged the event which aimed to raise the profile of the paepae and link young people into health and well-being services.
- Designed and rolled out an in-school mentoring programme to ensure young people feel supported and listened to - for youth by youth.
- Rolled out a volunteer programme to further connect young people to their community, and each other.
- Scaled up their 'Bakers Club' programme to support additional young people to learn new skills and responsibilities.
- Paepae members have attended various forums, including discussions on the Eastern Porirua Development, to ensure the youth voice is heard loud and clear in decisions concerning our city.
- Designed and project managed an open mic night at Pataka which aimed to tell young peoples stories of growing up in Porirua through song, dance, music, and spoken word.
The group is now working on tackling issues around youth unemployment, financial literacy education and mental health awareness.