More than $15,000 has been given to community organisations that support young people in the latest round of Porirua City’s Making it Happen fund.
Porirua City’s Grants, Awards and Events Sub-Committee confirmed the grants on Thursday.
This round’s successful applicants, totalling $15,500, were:
- Atamu Porirua Incorporated ($3000) for a holiday programme to build leadership, communication and team-building
- North Porirua Community of Learning ($2200) to develop a mobile bank of material and tools to enable children to engage in creative, unstructured play
- Porirua Alternative School ($1500) for a parenting programme for young people
- Russell School ($2000) to set up a science, technology, and engineering and mathematics exhibition, encouraging social entrepreneurship
- The Academy ($3000) to support a youth programme that meets twice-weekly to develop skills in dance, drama and cooking
- Taeaomanino Trust ($800) for a continuation of Streetball (basketball) events in Cannons Creek and Titahi Bay
- Te Ahi Manu ($3000) to fund a three-day music programme to give young people technical skills and confidence.
Grants, Awards and Events Sub-Committee deputy chairperson Faafoi Seiuli says receiving a variety of applications was pleasing
"There are some outstanding organisations in Porirua, really making connections and teaching resilience, leadership and decision-making skills with our rangitahi,” he said.
“I can’t wait to see the impact of these programmes and projects on our young people – they will make a difference.”
Porirua City wants to support ideas, activities and innovative projects and people aged up to 24 can apply for grants of up to $500 for projects, while organisations can apply for funding up to $3000.
A group of nine young leaders from Porirua participated in the decision-making and provided feedback to Porirua City councillors as they assessed the applications.
Previous recipients of the Making it Happen fund helped with fish passage in Kenepuru Stream, tree planting, producing Pasifika-inspired clothing, a rugby tournament and upgrading a bike track.
The next round of funding will be in August. Check out poriruacity.govt.nz for more information and an application form.
16 Dec 2018