Porirua City Mayor Mike Tana congratulates all the finalists for the Wellingtonian of the Year Awards, to be handed out this Thursday, 6 December, at Te Papa.
Porirua City Council is sponsoring the sports category, which celebrates those involved in sport in any capacity as a player, official or volunteer.
This year’s sports finalists are:
- Black Sox player Joel Evans, who helped his Hutt Valley and Black Sox bring home national and international titles
- Golfer Daniel Hillier, New Zealand’s top ranked amateur player and ranked 19 in the world
- Kayaker Kayla Imrie, who is continuing to make waves in the canoe sprint world
- Cricketer Amelia Kerr, the super-talented White Fern allrounder, who scored a world record 232 runs in a women’s one-day international
- TJ Perenara, who is notching up the milestones for the Hurricanes and All Blacks
Mayor Mike Tana said all those nominated across the five categories - environment, public service, science and technology, youth and sport – deserve to be highlighted for what they have achieved in the past year.
“Porirua City is proud to be a part of these awards because these are men and women who are contributing to what makes our region so exciting and vibrant.
“I have a bias towards the Porirua entrants, of course, but all of the nominees deserve our praise for the fabulous things they are doing in our communities.
“I can’t wait for the ceremony on Thursday.”
The category winners are all eligible for the Wellingtonian of the Year crown.
The Wellys, principally sponsored by The Dominion Post, began in 1989.
Former supreme winners include Sir Richard Taylor, Steven Adams, Dame Kate Harcourt, Sir Peter Jackson and Sir Des Britten.
5 Dec 2018