West is best for the MTB experience
Te Ara a Rangituhi mountain biking trails
- Te Ara Utiwai: shared easy/intermediate track, 6.1km from the Camp Elsdon carpark to the Rangituhi Lookout. The first 1.4km of the track is easy two way cycling and the upper 4.7km intermediate section is uphill cycling only, with walkers using the track in both directions. With a gentle gradient through stunning native forest, this track is a beauty!
- Spicer Link: shared easy 2-way trail, 2.9km length – a great trail for the whole family to enjoy.
- The Doctor: shared easy 2-way trail, 1.6km length – ride through regenerating forest in Colonial Knob Scenic Reserve.
- Chimney Sweep: intermediate trail through farmland, 0.6km length.
- Tumeke: intermediate downhill trail, 1.2km length.
- Crash Palace: expert downhill trail, 0.8km length – for the skilled and fearless MTB fan.
- Te Ara Tai Tonga: shared easy track, 2.5km length - connecting tracks leading to Spicer Botanical Park to tracks in Wellington City.
- Blaster: Intermediate downhill MTB trail, 0.5km in length - this is a flow trail with many jumps and big berms, running from Loop road down to the Spicer Link track.
Your guide to summer & autumn 2022-23
Download your online copy here.
Mountain biking with Bryn Dickerson
Porirua City has some of the best mountain biking in the region. In our first video, take a tour with local champion downhill mountain biker Bryn Dickerson, as he shows us some of his favourite spots to train and relax.
Also check out his favourite places to ride around Porirua in the second video below.
You might also like to visit