Driveways and vehicle crossings

Property owners are responsible for the construction and maintenance of their driveway and vehicle crossing.

Property owners are responsible for the construction and maintenance of their driveway and vehicle crossing.

Porirua City Council is responsible for maintaining the section of footpath.

All vehicle crossings must be created, operated and maintained in accordance with Section 335 of the Local Government Act 1974 and Council’s General Bylaws, Public Places clause 14.

If you are planning to build a new vehicle crossing and / or driveway, or do any maintenance that involves working in road reserve, there are a few things you will need to arrange before you carry out works.

  1. Plan the crossing in accordance to PCC standard
  2. Arrange for a Corridor Access Request
  3. Arrange for inspections
  4. Control silt and sediment runoff
  5. Document any damage you cause
  6. Fees and charges
  7. Maintenance

Plan the crossing in accordance with Porirua City Council standards

Before you start, Porirua City Council generally do not allow the construction of vehicle crossings:

  • Within 1m of existing street furniture (streetlight, service cabinets, tree)
  • Within 1m of an existing street sump or water toby
  • If the proposed width is greater than the allowable width (3m for single crossings and 4.5m for properties with a double garage)

Below are types of standard vehicle crossing and their engineering drawings.

If the crossing is shared by more than two residential properties, or if it'll be used by heavy vehicles, then you'll need a heavy duty vehicle crossing.

Urban vehicle crossing – heavy duty

Where it isn't feasible to construct to Council's standard dished type vehicle crossing, you'll need to get a Council Engineer's approval before you start work on the crossing.

Rural vehicle crossing - heavy duty

Rural vehicle crossing - standard

Get in touch with our Road Controlling Authority Infrastructure Engineer to discuss levels, gradients, crossfalls, drainage and other aspects before you apply – email

The public footpath adjacent to a vehicle crossing must comply with the NZTA gradient and crossfall.

Vehicle crossing – properties below street level

To begin your vehicle crossing application process, fill out the form below and send it to Transport consents

You can also direct any questions about the process to the above email address.

Download the vehicle crossing application form here

Remember to send it to Transport consents

Arrange for a corridor access request

You will need to apply for a Corridor Access Request (CAR) because constructing a vehicle crossing impacts on road users and the normal operating conditions of the road. You'll also need a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) and Work Access Permit (WAP) approved. You will need to start the process by locating any underground services at BeforeUDig.

Find out more information on our Working in the Road Corridor webpage


CAR applications must be made at least five working days for residential vehicle crossings. Vehicle crossings in the CBD or on certain roads may take fifteen days to process.

Work can start once your CAR is approved.

If you have any enquiries about Corridor Access Requests, contact Corridor Access Team

Arrange inspections

Pre-pour inspection

When the excavation has been prepared and is ready for the concrete to be poured, contact us to inspect the boxing before the concrete is poured.

Final inspection

When the area surrounding the crossing has been reinstated, let us know within five working days that the works are complete. Send us photographs of the crossing and adjacent area to include in our property records. To arrange a pre-pour or final inspection, phone the Corridor Access Team on (04) 237 5089 or email Corridor Access Team. We need at least two days’ notice.

Controlling run off-silt & sediment

When constructing an exposed aggregate driveway, ensure that the washout goes onto the site for treatment and not onto the road and into stormwater drains.

More information on silt and sediment control.

Document any damage you cause

Before you start work, record any existing damage to the road surface, kerb and channel, footpath, and any other parts of the road corridor. Take photos if you can.

The permit holder (depending on who builds the vehicle crossing) is responsible for repairing, at their own expense and to our satisfaction, any damage resulting from building the crossing.

Fees and charges

The applicant/resident will be responsible for the costs for all activities. Click here for the Transport Fees and Charges page. A standard vehicle crossing application is charged as a ‘Minor’ CAR and there may be extra inspections if necessary.

The fee doesn’t include any construction costs of the vehicle crossing or the cost of preparing your traffic management plan application.


Once a driveway's installed, it may need maintenance work or complete replacement to keep it to an acceptable standard. Council can require a property owner to repair, reconstruct, renew or remove an accessway (Public Places Bylaw 2019).

As the property owner, you are responsible for on-going maintenance and repairs to the crossing.

Porirua City Council maintains the section of footpath.

If our work to widen or realign a road requires a vehicle crossing to be altered to meet the new road alignment, we will do this work at our expense.