Stray or lost animals

If you spot an animal that looks lost – or not where it should be – please get in touch with us hohoro.

Large animals like horses, sheep or cattle found wandering on our roads, can be a serious hazard.

If you see a wandering animal in a public place let us know on phone (04) 237 5089.

If it is creating a nuisance, holding up traffic or endangering any person or itself, phone the Police on 111. They will provide traffic control until the animal can be safely contained. 

For stranded, straying or dead marine mammals, contact the Department of Conservation on 0800 362 468.

If you wish to send any photos in support of your request or advice, please email them separately to [email protected] and we'll attach them to your record in our systems.

How we deal with wandering stock

Our council officers may impound wandering stock until we find out who owns it.

You can reclaim animals from us by providing proof of ownership and paying any costs of impounding and looking after them.

If unclaimed, animals may be sold by public tender advertised in local newspapers, or disposed of in another way.

To find out about a missing or impounded animal, call us on (04) 237 5089.

If your pet is lost or missing, check local Facebook community groups or Neighbourly community pages and the Companion Animal Register home page, which has

Click here to see our full list of fees and charges for Animal Control in Porirua