Applying to become a Reduced Registration Fee Category (formerly Responsible Dog Owner status)
Responsible Dog Owner has recently had a name change, it's now called Reduced Registration Fee Category
You can apply for a Reduced Registration Fee Category status (formerly Responsible Dog Owner) to enjoy lower dog fees - saving $50 for a neutered dog and $50 for a non-neutered dog.
Please note that there is a $37 application fee, if the application is approved you will need to pay an additional $72 for the property inspection fee. You can apply for a Reduced Registration Fee Category status to enjoy lower dog fees.
To qualify, you confirm the following conditions:
- provide veterinary health records as proof of current vaccination (Canine Parvovirus, Distemper, and Infectious Hepatitis inoculations – all in one vaccination recommended by Veterinary Centres and the New Zealand SPCA)
- have your dog(s) micro chipped in accordance with the Dog Control Act
- register your dog(s) on time each year (prior to 1 Aug)
- comply in full to the Council Dog Control Bylaws and the Dog Control Act 1996
- ensure that the dog/s is well cared for. This includes feeding, housing, exercise, and a secure section (fencing). You must have free and clear access to the front door without being hindered by a dog(s).
- for new RRFC applications an owner/s must have resided in the district and owned a dog for the previous 12 months and have no history of dog control issues within the previous 24 months; however:
- if an owner has current RRFC equivalent in another district, they may apply for RRFC immediately. Granting of the RRFC status is subject to no reported dog control issues within the previous 24 months in the district from which they are moving from.
You must also keep us updated about:
- Your current contact telephone number/s.
- Details of any new dogs in your care, and dog deaths.
- The name and address of the new owner if you rehome your dog(s).
Apply for the Reduced Registration Fee Category status (formerly Responsible Dog Owner status) by 1 May.
You can apply online or come into the Customer Services Centre at 16 Cobham Court, Porirua, to complete the form manually. You can also print and post form if you wish. You can download the form here.
An animal control officer will make a time during normal working hours to inspect your property. The officer will assess whether the site and dog accommodation are suitable and hygienic.