Skip bins and container permits

Sometimes you need more than a bag to get rid of rubbish. Skip bins and containers are excellent for clean outs. If you don't have room for one on your property, you'll need a permit to put one on public land.

Applying for a Permit

Please DO NOT apply for a permit if you have room, and adequate vehicle access, for a skip bin to be put on your own property.

You will need a permit if you are planning to place the skip bin on public land, such as the:

  • road
  • berm, or
  • roadside parking spaces

Apply at least 5 working days before you need the skip bin or container.

Download the application for container placement and send it to us at [email protected]

This permit application is subject to approval by Porirua City Council.

Fees will apply on approval of the permit.

Terms and Conditions

  • Skip Bins and Containers must not obstruct footpath
  • Skip Bins and containers must not be placed in cycle lanes

  • Placement must be parallel to the road
  • Placement must not obstruct speed limit and warning signs.
  • Placement must not be within a restricted parking area, on a footpath or grass verge.
  • Placement must not be within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing, corner or intersection unless approved by PCC.
  • Placement must not obstruct utility services such as manhole covers for stormwater and wastewater, electricity, telecommunications, gas, fire hydrants. Allow one meter gap for access.
  • Access for emergency services must not be obstructed.
  • A minimum of 1 metre between skip bins/containers and driveway access points must be observed so as not to block vehicle entry and exit.
  • “Half skips” should be placed such that the opening is facing away from oncoming traffic travelling on the same side of the road.
  • Containers must be placed on a sealed surface and on timber planks to protect road surface

Skips and containers must have one or more forward and rearward facing reflective markings (100mmx10mm minimum) so it can be seen at night.

Skip bins and containers much have Company Name and Contact details to allow responsible party to be contacted in case of an emergency.

The maximum period that any skip of container can be on the road reserve is 14 days.

Occupying parking spaces with time limits and parking meters will incur a daily fee. Restricted packing includes:

  • Metered parks
  • Coupon parking
  • Loading zone parking
  • P5, P10, P60, P120 parks

Containers larger than 20-ft will require a traffic management plan and a Corridor Access Request (CAR)

If you are placing the skip bin or container outside your neighbour’s property, you will need permission from them.

We have the right to move the skip bin or container if it does not comply with our conditions.

Porirua City Council General Bylaw 1991 – Part 11


From 1 August 2023, this cost to place a skip bin or container on road reserve will be $60.