Building control services

We provide building control services under the Building Act 2004.

About the Building Act 2004

The Building Act 2004 provides for the regulation of building work, the establishment of a licensing regime for building practitioners, and the setting of performance standards, to ensure that:

  • people who use buildings can do so safely and without endangering their health;
  • buildings have attributes which contribute appropriately to the health, physical independence, and well-being of the people who use them;
  • people who use a building can escape from the building if it is on fire; and
  • buildings are designed, constructed, and able to be used in ways which promote sustainable development.

To achieve this purpose, the Act requires anyone proposing to do certain building work to obtain a building consent from a Building Consent Authority (BCA) before commencing building work, with the option of obtaining a Project Information Memorandum (PIM).

Read the guide for when a building consent is not required

The Building Research Association of New Zealand (BRANZ) is an independent and research, testing, and information resource for the building and construction industry.  Further information can be found on the BRANZ website. 

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) is the government department responsible for regulating the building industry.

For consistency we will often refer you to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.  It has all the information you need to build homes and buildings that are safe, healthy and durable.

The Building Compliance team is part of the Policy, Planning and Regulatory Services business unit of Porirua City Council. We carry out the Council’s statutory responsibilities under the Building Act, as an accredited building consent authority and the territorial authority. Our staff are trained professionals with backgrounds covering a range of building disciplines, including engineering, plumbing and construction.

We are committed to providing top-quality customer service and aim to help you obtain your consent as fast as possible, while also ensuring that your building project meets all legislative and Building Code requirements. 

Should you need help understanding something please call us so that we can point you towards some guidance to assist you. 

Please note that we cannot give you design advice (or design solutions) as that is the responsibility of the designer of the proposed building work.

If you're unhappy about our service you can make a formal complaint.

A building control function is any of the following:

  • meeting statutory time frames;
  • lodgement or vetting of building consent applications;
  • processing of building consent applications;
  • inspection of work under construction;
  • issuing of a notice to fix;
  • issuing of code compliance certificates;
  • issuing compliance schedules;
  • failure to provide appropriate information or advice;
  • fees and charges; and
  • failure to meet legislative or Building Code requirements

Our complaints process

If you’re unhappy about any aspect of our building control service, you can lodge a complaint and have your complaint managed. You can also appeal any decision we have made, or complain about any building control function we undertake.  

To submit a complaint please provide details in writing to:

Manager Building Assurance
Porirua City Council
16 Cobham Court
PO Box 50218
Porirua 5240

You'll need to give us the following information:

  • the date the incident occurred;
  • the nature of your complaint (guidance information, vetting, lodgement, inspection, notice to fix, code compliance certificate or compliance schedule);
  • copies of any supporting information (if applicable); and
  • the nature of your relationship with us (customer, regulator, or stakeholder).

An initial response will be provided within two working days, acknowledging the receipt of your complaint and advising of a timeframe for investigation and response.  

You'll be asked whether you wish to be heard in relation to the complaint or to provide further information.

Can I appeal a decision?

Yes, if you do not agree with the outcome, you may request a review of the decision.  All appeals must be made in writing, stating the reasons why you disagree with the decision.

All appeals should be addressed to:

General Manager Policy, Planning and Regulatory Services
Porirua City Council
16 Cobham Court
PO Box 50218


Chief Executive Officer
Porirua City Council
16 Cobham Court
PO Box 50218
Porirua 5240

We'll respond to your appeal within 10 working days.

Seeking a Determination

If you are still unhappy or choose to use an alternative route to settle a matter of doubt or dispute, you may apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) for a Determination.  See Determinations for further information on this service and to download an application form.