Restricted building work

Find out about restricted building work and who can do this type of work.

Restricted building work, licensed building practitioners and owner-builder exemptions

A licensed building practitioner must carry out or supervise restricted building work.

Licensed building practitioners carrying out restricted building work must provide Certificates of Design Work or Records of Building Work. Licensed building practitioners must be registered.

Owner-Builders are able to carry out restricted building work on their own home.

What is restricted building work?

Restricted building work applies to, but is not limited to:

  • foundations
  • framing;
  • roofing;
  • cladding, and/or 
  • active fire safety systems in small-medium sized apartment buildings.

Who are licensed building practitioners?

Licensed Building Practitioners (LBPs) include, but are not limited to:

  • designers
  • carpenters
  • roofers
  • external plasterers
  • bricklayers, and/or 
  • block layers. 

Registered architects, chartered professional engineers and plumbers are deemed to be LBPs. 

It is the owner’s responsibility to check that the tradespeople doing and or supervising the work are licensed building practitioners.

Restricted work is work on homes and small-medium sized apartment buildings that is critical to the integrity of the building. 

Exemptions for owner-builders

An exemption is available to owner-builders, allowing them to carry out restricted building work on their own home and build their own home. There are certain criteria for this and details can be found on the DIY, but build it right and obligations and responsibilities of owner-builders webpages. 

Building consent applications are not accepted unless they include a Memorandum-Certificate of design work from a licensed building practitioner certifying that the design work complies with the Building Code.

Licensed building practitioners will also need to provide a Memorandum - Record of Building Work when the work has been completed.