Move or demolish a building

Moving a house is challenging, moving a building even more so – but here in Porirua City, we can help you relocate a building, or guide you through its demolition.

Demolition of a building

If the building is detached and is less than three stories high you will not need consent as this is exempt building works.

You will need to:

  • Terminate all services such as water, sewer and stormwater -
  • let providers of services such as electricity, gas, water and telecommunications know about the demolition works
  • correctly handle and dispose of hazardous materials, including asbestos
  • Control silt or runoff, excess noise and dust
  • Secure the site with barriers to restrict public access and avoid injury to the public

Relocating a building

Building consent

If you are moving a building into or out of Porirua City, you will need a building consent from both the Porirua City Council and the other Council concerned.

Resource consent

You may need a resource consent, depending on whether the project involves any site earthworks and on the type and structure of the building, you may also need to get a resource consent from the council for the existing location.

As well as our standard resource consent application requirements, your application must include:

  • photographs of the building being relocated
  • details of any trees or other buildings you plan to remove as part of the relocation work
  • details of any planned changes to the building structure
  • details of how you will comply with District Plan specifications for distance from boundaries, height and so on
  • Apply for resource consent