If the building is detached and is less than three stories high you will not need consent as this is exempt building works.
You will need to:
- Terminate all services such as water, sewer and stormwater - wellingtonwater.co.nz
- let providers of services such as electricity, gas, water and telecommunications know about the demolition works
- correctly handle and dispose of hazardous materials, including asbestos
- Control silt or runoff, excess noise and dust
- Secure the site with barriers to restrict public access and avoid injury to the public
If you are moving a building into or out of Porirua City, you will need a building consent from both the Porirua City Council and the other Council concerned.
You may need a resource consent, depending on whether the project involves any site earthworks and on the type and structure of the building, you may also need to get a resource consent from the council for the existing location.
As well as our standard resource consent application requirements, your application must include:
- photographs of the building being relocated
- details of any trees or other buildings you plan to remove as part of the relocation work
- details of any planned changes to the building structure
- details of how you will comply with District Plan specifications for distance from boundaries, height and so on
- Apply for resource consent