Commercial building work

Commercial Building Consents

For commercial building work we recommend booking in for a pre lodgement meeting.

Contact us by email: [email protected] or phone us on (04) 237 5089 to make an appointment.

Checklists required for commercial consents

Commercial alteration applications require the following assessment checklists included with the application

What is a Certificate for Public Use?

A Certificate for Public Use (CPU) allows premises affected by building work to be used by the public.

The provision of the certificate does not relieve the owner from applying for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) when the building work is complete. The Building Act 2004 requires Council to process Certificate for Public Use applications (if not suspended for further information) within 20 working days. A CPU is issued with an expiry date, usually six months from the inspection date, if a CCC has not been issued before the CPU expires the building owner is required to apply for a new one and have a re-inspection.

Use our online portal to make an application

When premises for public use can be occupied

If your building is open to the public, whether for free or for a charge, the building cannot be used / occupied until a code compliance certificate is issued. This is because public premises will generally have systems within the building which contribute to life safety and well-being of the building user. (These systems are called specified systems).

In certain circumstances it may be possible to apply for a certificate for public use, which will allow a building to be used before the code compliance certificate is issued. Each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Use our online portal to make an application.

Your application will be assessed and your premises inspected to ensure public safety during the building project. Certificate for Public Use applications require an upfront payment of $569.00 which includes one hour of processing and one site visit to inspect the premises.

What are public premises?

Any building which is open to the public whether for free or payment of a charge including:

  • Schools
  • Shopping malls
  • Cinemas
  • Marae
  • Camping grounds
  • Garages and workshops
  • Funeral homes
  • Office/retail complexes
  • Rest homes, etc.

Public occupation of buildings affected by building work

It is an offence to allow the public use or occupation of a building if a building consent is required for work or code compliance certificate for consented work has not been obtained. 

Recommended pages: