Encroachment Licence application

You’ll need an Encroachment License if you want to install a structure on, over, or under public land.

This might include the construction of a structures such as:

  • garages
  • car decks, carports, or car pads
  • balconies
  • retaining walls
  • gates and fences
  • porches
  • decks

To apply for an encroachment licence,  download the application form and send it to our Property Services team at [email protected]

Please supply as much information as you can on the form and include any plans, drawings etc.   This will help streamline the approval process for you.

The Property Services team will assess the application and forward it to any relevant parties for approval.  You  will be notified of the outcome and any next steps required.

What is the cost?

There is a one-off establishment fee for an Encroachment Licence of $335.65 plus GST. This will be charged when the licence documents are drawn up. 

There is also an annual fee for the encroachment licence of $8.95 plus GST per square meter.

Other approvals may be required

Please note, you will need to check with Council what other consents are required prior to building a structure on public land.

An encroachment licence only covers approval to use public land for this purpose.


If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected] ph (04) 237 5089.