How to apply for a permit
To apply for a permit, you need to fill in our hard copy permit application form, then bring it to our Customer Services Centre at 16 Cobham Court, Porirua, and pay the required fee.
You will also need a certificate of registration from WorkSafe.
Your permit will take 10 working days to process.
We will check:
- the ground can support the device without risk of subsiding
- there is enough clearance to prevent people from being injured when the device is operated
- passenger loading platforms and other places for accessing the device can be kept clear of debris and obstructions and not get slippery
- suitable fire extinguishers are provided
- electrical safety can be maintained
- protective fences or barriers are erected if needed
- operators are aged at least 18 years and trained and competent to operate the device safely.
- the operation complies with our General Bylaw 1991.
What is an amusement device?
An amusement device is any mechanically powered unit that takes riders, such as:
- ferris wheels
- roller coasters
- bumper cars and boats
- indoor go-karts
- three- and four-wheeled mini-bikes
- jet skis
- bungy jumping operations.
Bouncy castles, inflatable slides and non-powered equipment are not considered amusement devices.