Amusement devices

Merry-go rounds, jet skis, parasails, and mini bikes are great fun but you'll need a permit to operate one, whether it’s on public or private property.

How to apply for a permit

To apply for a permit, you need to fill in our hard copy permit application form, then bring it to our Customer Services Centre at 16 Cobham Court, Porirua, and pay the required fee.

You will also need a certificate of registration from WorkSafe.

Your permit will take 10 working days to process.

Fees apply from 1 July 2020 and include GST.

Description Fee
One amusement device, operated for up to seven days $11.50
For each additional device for the first seven days or part thereof $2.30
For each device per each further period of seven days or part thereof $1.15

We will check:

  • the ground can support the device without risk of subsiding
  • there is enough clearance to prevent people from being injured when the device is operated
  • passenger loading platforms and other places for accessing the device can be kept clear of debris and obstructions and not get slippery
  • suitable fire extinguishers are provided 
  • electrical safety can be maintained
  • protective fences or barriers are erected if needed
  • operators are aged at least 18 years and trained and competent to operate the device safely.
  • the operation complies with our General Bylaw 1991

What is an amusement device?

An amusement device is any mechanically powered unit that takes riders, such as:

  • merry-go-rounds
  • ferris wheels
  • roller coasters
  • bumper cars and boats
  • indoor go-karts
  • three- and four-wheeled mini-bikes
  • parasails
  • jet skis
  • bungy jumping operations. 

Bouncy castles, inflatable slides and non-powered equipment are not considered amusement devices.