Outdoor Dining

You'll need a permit if you want a space for people to eat outside your premises

Outdoor Dining Application

If you operate a food shop, takeaway, restaurant or cafe bar and want to place furniture on a public place adjacent to your premises for customer or al fresco dining, you must first obtain the Outdoor Dining Permit.

The fee for the permit is $215.00

Permit Application Criteria

This permit is additional to the Food Act 2014 and the Food Regulations 2015, Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and Porirua City Council General Bylaw 1991 registration and licensing requirements.

The permits are issued at Council discretion with the following factors considered.

  • The size and location of the public area or areas that you propose to use.
  • The accessibility of the area or areas to your premises.
  • The total number of and type of tables, chairs and/or other furniture you propose to install 
  • How will you clearly mark and designate the area or areas for your use, particularly if you are applying for the permit in conjunction with a liquor On Licence.
  • The hours during which and days on which the outdoor area or areas will be operated as part of your business.
  • The procedures you will have in place to supervise and control access to the area or areas when in use
  • The lighting, security, safety and cleaning systems you will employ
  • The proposed area or areas will not obstruct or distract pedestrian or road traffic.

You will need to provide a scale plan with your application showing your premises around the proposed public area or areas identifying boundaries and locations of the tables, chairs barrier and/or other furniture.

Outdoor Dining Permit Applications made relating to liquor licensed premises will be referred to our Licensing Inspector, the Police and Wellington Regional Health Office for comments 

If you are operating registered food premises only, you must keep your permit available for inspection if and when requested by an authorised Council Officer.

If the permit is being used in conjunction with premises licensed under the Sale and Supple of Alcohol Act 2012, you must keep a copy of both the permit and area plan on display with your liquor licence and renewal notice