Permits & licences

We're pretty cruisy here in Porirua City but there are a few things you'll need licences and permits for.

Open air fires & fireworks

Before you go to light a fire - even if it's in your backyard - check if you need a permit first.


Drones are becoming more popular, but make sure you obtain a permit when flying over Council land.

Alcohol licensing

Kāti before you serve a drink! If you're planning to sell or supply alcohol to the public, you need a licence.

Food safety

Food stall sellers don't need a licence, but registered food businesses do need one. Find out what you need to do to keep your customers safe.

Busking & street entertainment

Porirua City has talent! Buskers we want to see and hear your skills, but first get in touch for a permit.

Amusement devices

Merry-go rounds, jet skis, parasails, & mini bikes are great fun but you'll need a permit to operate one, whether it’s on public or private property.

Apply to close a road

If you are organising an event, or planning some work that requires a road to be closed temporarily, please apply for a permit first.

Working in the road corridor

If your building project involves road works there are a few things to consider before starting out.

Overweight vehicles

If you're driving an overweight or oversized vehicles, please watch out for our roads and bridges. Some are off limits.

Boatsheds & pole moorings

Porirua City has some iconic boat sheds across Titahi Bay, Camborne, Paremata, and Onepoto. Here we detail the rates and licenses that apply to each area.

Registering your business

Hairdressers, funeral homes and campgrounds require registration; if you are planning to start or buy a new business please apply for your certificate.

Hazardous substance businesses

If you're setting up or buying a business that deals with hazardous substances please talk to us about resource consents and licensing first.