Covid-19 Update

Alert Level 2
Most Council facilities are open and will be operating under the Level 2 guidelines, keep an eye on our Facebook page for regular updates or visit our Covid-19 Services and facilities page. For up to date information about alert levels, community cases, and getting tested visit and

Council facilities & services Covid-19 welfare information Small business support

Hazardous substance businesses

If you're setting up or buying a business that deals with hazardous substances please talk to us about resource consents and licensing first.

Taking over an existing hazardous substance business

If you intend to buy an existing business that is licensed for hazardous substances check with us first to confirm there are no outstanding Resource Consent, Building Consent or hazardous substance licensing compliance issues.

If you intend to change the nature of, or close the business, also check with us as specific approval/s may be required to:

  • Change the building use under the Building Act 2004 and/or Resource Management Act 1991.
  • Remove all hazardous substances and/or storage containers (i.e. drums, above or underground tanks etc) from the site. 

Starting a new hazardous substance business

To start a new business that will involve the manufacture, storage, use or sale of hazardous substances, call us on phone (04) 237 5089 or visit us before you start any site work for compliance advice on:

We recommend you also view the hazardous substances information on the following websites.