Registering your business

Hairdressers, funeral homes and campgrounds require registration. If you are planning to start or buy a new business please apply for your certificate.

Registering your business with Porirua City

Some businesses or operations in Porirua City need to be registered under the Health Regulations 1966 if it falls under one of the following three categories:

  • Hairdressers or barbers
  • Funeral homes
  • Campgrounds

See the information below for what you need to do, the fees and the forms.

Hairdressers or barbers

All hairdressing premises including mobile shops must be registered with us and comply with the set minimum hygiene standards. 

A hairdresser's shop means any premises, other than premises occupied by a customer, where a hairdresser carries on his or her business or practice. 

Note: This includes a mobile hairdressing shop, a hairdressers home where that is being used for business purposes but does not include a customer's home.

If you are thinking about buying an existing hairdressing business, contact us on (04) 237 5089 to discuss your proposals.  We'll give you advice on what you need to do to be successful.

If you're thinking about starting a new business, we can help you with the planning process to ensure you meet all our requirements.

The registration fee is $287.00, renewable annually by 1 September, and you must display your certificate clearly for the public.

Funeral homes

If you operate, or intend to operate as a funeral director, you must be registered.

Your mortuary must comply with the Health (Burial) Regulations 1946, which detail the location, construction method, work surfaces, hygiene standards, facilities and maintenance standards required.

The registration fee is $589.00, renewable annually on 1 September, and you must display your certificate clearly for the public.


Camping grounds and relocatable home parks must be registered in accordance with the requirements of the Camping Ground Regulations 1985.

If you are proposing to set up a new camping ground or relocatable home park, you will require both a Building Consent and Resource Consent.

Note: You must have all Resource Consents and Building Consents required before you start any site work. 

Contact us on (04) 237 5089 before you start work to discuss your proposals.

The registration fee is $552.00, renewable annually on 1 September,  and you must display your certificate clearly for the public.

Change of ownership

Description Fee
Transfer of ownership/new certificates $205.00
New and changes to premises admin fee. Includes administrative set-up, assessment and 2
inspections. Thereafter hourly rate applies.

If an existing business changes owners, the new owner needs to notify us and pay the transfer fee.

Form for new application

Apply online

Please complete all mandatory fields with a

Legal name of operator, eg registered company, partnership or individual
(if applicable)
If existing business, state previous trading name
for a change of ownership
Please include postcode
please include postcode
Please state date opening or date ownership changes
By submitting this application, I confirm that I am authorised to make this application as the operator or a person with legal authority to act on behalf of the operator, and the information supplied is truthful and accurate to the best of my knowledge.